Erudus Extended Food Allergy Icon Font - ReadMe & Usage
Dave Liske, Luna Pier, Michigan. April 2020.
The Erudus Extended Food Allergy Icon Font and its included CSS, implemented without any further dependencies, allows for the selection of either a 32px,
a (recommended) 50px, or a 145px font size for an extended set of the Erudus
Food Allergy Icon Font for diet types and allergens, from Erudus: The Food Industry’s Collaborative Solution to
Sharing Product Data, West Yorkshire, UK.
Erudus Ltd's original design notes are as follows:
The Erudus Food Allergy Icon Font is designed to help designers and developers provide a pixel perfect solution, aiding users to quickly and
easily identify in a graphical format whether a food product contains or may contain any of the EU’s 14 Major Food Allergens. (as outlined in the
EU Food Information for Consumers Regulation No. 1169/2011 and
EU Food Information Regulation 1169/2001).
At the time of publication, no standardised approach to the graphic representation of the presence of allergen ingredients in food products has been agreed.
Various icons and visual representations are being used across the food industry.
In the US the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the presentation of information regarding eight of the same allergens, referred to colloquially as
the "Big Eight", in the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer
Protection Act of 2004
I have extended the Erudus Food Allergy Icon Font to include other known allergies, diet and cuisine types, and popular icons for menu item spiciness
- Certification is required to claim an item fulfills the requirements of some of the included cuisines, that the
kitchen follows the requirements for those cuisines, and for the specific usage of some of the Cuisine icons.
- Caution must be exercised when dealing with allergen information, so it is important to take great care in using
- The author is not responsible for any usage claims and/or the certification required for the use of these icons
by any entity or establishment.
- Apr. 29, 2020: ver. 1.7;
- Added Yeast characters.
- Added documentation for using the Yeast characters.
- Apr. 7, 2020: ver. 1.6;
- Added Kiwi characters.
- Added documentation for using the Kiwi characters.
- Jan. 3, 2020: ver. 1.5;
- Added six HACCP characters, to be displayed in their associated colors.
- Added documentation for using the six HACCP characters in their associated colors.
- Oct 28, 2019: ver. 1.4.3;
- Added an Allergen Log for use with patron requests in both MS Excel (XLS 97-2003) and PDF formats.
- Oct 27, 2019: ver. 1.4.2;
- Added planning and presentation Dish Safety & Allergen Content Charts in both MS Excel (XLS 97-2003) and PDF formats, including documentation for use.
- Oct 25, 2019: ver. 1.4.1;
- Added documentation for using the fonts in MS Word for print menus, with both DOC and PDF file samples.
- Updated documentation formatting and presentation using Skeleton and Prism.
- Oct 23, 2019: ver. 1.4;
- Added "Hot Plate" and "Pin Bones" warning and caution icons, with associated heading code and documentation.
- May 29, 2019: ver. 1.3.1;
- Modified the mapping of the spiciness characters in the CSS to use simple numerical values.
- Added examples for both versions of the spiciness characters to the PHP Usage page.
- Corrected other minor issues in the documentation.
- Apr. 16, 2019: ver. 1.3;
- Added 25%, 50%, and 75% pepper characters.
- Split extension characters from originals into new font files.
- Restored original Erudus font files in distributed font folder for use.
- Modified CSS to included both original Erudus and extended font families.
- Jan. 26, 2019: ver. 1.2;
- Added Coconut icons and definition.
- Jan. 19, 2019: ver. 1.1;
- Added Mold icons and definition.
- Dec. 19, 2018: ver. 1.0.2;
- Changed all "Cereals Containing Gluten" captions to "Cereal" to align with Erudus' usage.
- Modified language regarding fifteenth icon, "Gluten", using notes provided by Erudus.
- Reorganized docs for individual pages.
- Developed working PHP example page.
- Developed working PHP example page for simulating icon display in Erudus' apps.
- Attributed to cuisinology.com (research project) instead of micuisine.com (blog).
- Dec. 14, 2018: ver. 1.0.1; Added instructions for using the icons with Wordpress.
- Dec. 12, 2018: ver. 1.0.0; Initial release